Thursday, March 9, 2017

Originally it was a piece of artwork on its own, without the sharpie, but it was turned into a conceptual piece. "Love me, suffer for me or turn me into art." It works with the original sculpture because someone could interpret the subject literally saying these words to whoever made this. The part of the sentence "Love me, suffer for me..." also makes love sound like more trouble than it's worth, so it's not surprising that the artist decided to just make the subject saying these words into this sculpture. 
Questionable as to whether it was intended or not, the "N' in 'turn' is stretched down to meet the same base as 'me', making 'me' read almost like 'men'. This could be interpreted with the artist going against what the subject was saying, making a woman into a sculpture instead. Likewise, the 'T' in 'turn' is also stretched down to meet the 'me' but it is much less noticeable and it doesn't translate into any recognizable meaning.

Source: Sharpie Art Workshop by: Timothy Goodman pg. 68

No comments:

Post a Comment